Monday, March 14, 2011

Sports and Sympathy

Watching Tiger struggle to tame the Big Blue Monster that is Doral made me almost (I said, 'almost') feel sorry for him. He finished the week with a strong 66 but was nowhere near contention and hasn't won a tournament since before his Thanksgiving 2009 fender bender erupted into an embarrassing and painful sex scandal of epic proportions.
It appears he's paid a terribly high price for his indiscretions - one that may end up being a life sentence.
He's lost his family, sponsors and friends.
He's lost the respect and admiration of millions of fans worldwide and perhaps even worse, that of his colleagues in the PGA. Talk about tough playing conditions!
It's beginning to occur to me that he may never get his game back - despite the swing changes he's trying to incorporate into his game.
I'll never understand that of course. I've always been of the "If it's not broken don't fix it" persuasion. Prior to his scandal, he was at the top of his game and the guy to beat.
Today, he's a beaten man but he shouldn't blame it on his swing.
After too much thinking with his little head, it's what's in his big head that ails him.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm looking forward to March Madness despite
the unbelievable snub of my Colorado Buffaloes.

Now, in addition to dropping BCS from my alphabet, I'm also dropping RPI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally, the devastation in Japan is mind boggling and the horrific images coming from the region have shaken me to the core. The nuclear threat is real - very real. But as frightening as that is, this disaster like all those that have come before it, will serve to teach us to be better prepared the next time. I've no doubt that those in the know are looking seriously at what went wrong at the damaged nuclear facilities and are already working on ways to prevent such damage in the future.
Today I'm making a donation to the Red Cross.
www.redcross.org
It's a fine organization, ever present in the face of disaster and able to help so many.
If you don't like the Red Cross, consider donating to another relief organization.
Our Japanese friends need it.

日本の人々に:
私の考え及び祈りはあなたと一緒にあります。


(To the people of Japan:
My thoughts and prayers are with you)

No comments:

Post a Comment