Friday, May 23, 2014

Memorial Day - Get It Right!

It's been nearly two years since I last blogged - so long that I forgot how to post one as things have changed on the web site.
I usually try to keep my mouth shut unless I have something significant to say but today I feel the overwhelming urge to speak out.
With Memorial Day looming, I'd like to set the record straight for those of you who are confused as to the meaning of this holiday.

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, originated after the Civil War as a way to commemorate all soldiers who had died in that conflict. It was later expanded to commemorate all Americans who died while serving in the military.
It's inappropriate to use the phrase "Happy Memorial Day". There is nothing happy about a day set aside to honor our war dead. It is a somber occasion.



Veterans Day, celebrates the service of all U.S. military who have served and is not to be confused with Memorial Day, which commemorates and honors those who have died.

And to the individual who on Labor Day posted her "thanks to all the hero soldiers who have served"...
You're an idiot!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this much needed clarification for those without a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie ~ thank you for this much needed clarification for those without a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. snicker - I go through the same thing every holiday. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete